Coat of arms of Poblet (July, 1870)

In July of 1870, Anton Gaudí got excited, together with his friends Eduard Toda and Josep Ribera, with restoring the monastery of Poblet, ruined from the expropriation of 1835 and of great cultural, historical and patriotic importance. Gaudí drew the coat of arms of Poblet, copying it of the engraving on the copper of the book of father Jaume de Finestres. Gaudí omitted the abbatial cardinal’s hat and the corresponding infulae braided hanged in the sides. This drawing of Gaudí is included in the manuscript of Toda "Poblet, datos y apuntes", of 26 July of 1870.

Josep Maria Tarragona, April 15, 2007

All rights reserved

Last update: 06/05/2016