Francesc de Paula Parés i Iglesias

Francesc de Paula Parés i Iglesias was born in Vila-rodona (Alt Camp) on February 1, 1873. The same day he was baptized in his parents' home by the midwife, Maria Gabaldà. He studied at the Minor Seminary of Tarragona, from 1883 to 1887, and decided to prepare for the priesthood. On February 17, 1894, Dr. Tomas Costa i Fornaguera, Archbishop of Tarragona, conferred minor orders. Received sub diaconate June 8, 1895, also in the chapel of the Episcopal Palace. And the diaconate, May 21, 1896, in the chapel of the Seminary of Tarragona, by hands of the grand and enlightened Bishop of Lleida, Dr. Josep Messeguer i Costa. The same Dr. Messeguer ordained him priest on May 30, 1896, in the Cathedral of Lleida. Fr. Francesc de Paula Mosen Parés doctorate in Theology and Canon Law at the Pontifical University of Tarragona. He had been deputy prefect of discipline and professor in the Seminary of Tarragona from 1890 until 1896. Jet priest, was named coadjutor of Santa Maria, Cathedral of Tarragona, from September 30, 1896 until June 28, 1901, when he became treasurer of Sant Antoni de Valls. At the beginning of the year 1901-1902, he moved to Madrid, for a degree in civil law at the Complutense University and became professor of Canon Law at Seminary from 1901 to 1909. Simultaneously, he was steward of the Seminary of Madrid from 1901 to 1903, and vicar of Santa María de la Almudena from September 1905 to June 1909. Called by Bishop Dr. Ramon Guillamet i Coma, was Vicar General of Leon from the November 12, 1909 until November 18, 1913. He won competitions for canon, and was it of Leon from the August 14, 1910 until April 15, 1917. Following Dr. Guillamet, he was Secretary of Government House of the Bishop of Cordoba from January 1, 1919 to June 1920, and archpriest of the Cathedral of Cordoba from the April 7, 1917 until March 8, 1920. Upon being appointed Bishop of Barcelona Dr. Guillamet, Dr. Francesc de Paula Parés became Schoolmaster of the Cathedral of Barcelona on March 8, 1920, Vicar General of Barcelona from July 21, 1920 to May 30, 1924, and Counselor of the Nocturnal Adoration of Barcelona from the December 17, 1920. On November 15, 1921, Dr. Guillamet reorganized the Board of Works of the Temple of the Sagrada Família, in an entirely favorable to Gaudi. For this purpose, he appointed delegate president Dr. Pares, who also happened to be the director of the Spiritual Association of Devotes of Saint Joseph. He had other charges, as clerk of the Diocesan Box of November 17, 1922 to May 30, 1924; and spiritual director of the Sisters of the Visitation (Sales) since June 1923. As president delegate of the Board of Works, Dr. Parés held important cults in the Temple of the Sagrada Família. For example, the first Mass at 8:00 am, Sunday, December 11, 1921, the Jubilee Year celebration culminating, when tehy laid the first stone of the nave, blessed by Cardinal Vidal i Barraquer. Soon after, the day of Saint Peter, 1922, when rejoin the procession of the XV Feast atoning blasphemy, he gave the benediction with the Blessed Sacrament from the place they occupy the high altar in the future nave. On Tuesday June 8, 1926, when the accident of Antoni Gaudí was known, Dr. Parés went to the Hospital de la Santa Creu. He spent the whole afternoon. The patient took two yogurts. On Thursday June 10 at 9:30 pm, the doctors gave up hope. Canon Dr. Parés also went to the Hospital and, along with five other priests presents, received at 11 h. the flamboyant Bishop of Barcelona, Dr. Josep Miralles i Sbert, which came into the room where Gaudi was dying, tried to talk to him, prayed some prayers given his soul to God and gave the blessing. At 14 pm, Dr. Francesc de Paula Parés relieved at the bedside of the dying to Fr. Gil Parés, chaplain of the Crypt of the Sagrada Família, which had not moved for a moment the bedside of the sick from morning Wednesday. At 16 am, Fr. Gil Parés opened the bedroom door and invited those present to pray the recommendation of the soul. All fell on their knees. During the ceremony, it appeared that Gaudí had a moment of lucidity, realizing it and saying several times during the litany of the saints and the psalm "De Profundis": "Well, well, Amen! Amen! " At 16.30 pm, were placed on either side of the bed a few lighted candles, which lit up the image of St. Joseph which was on the head, which hung large rosaries. At 17.07 pm, Gaudi died. Those present recited the Lord's Prayer. Immediately, Dr. Parés chaired the joint meeting of the Board of Works of the Sagrada Família and the Board of the Hospital de la Santa Creu, to prepare the chapel and burial. Unanimously agreed that Gaudí were buried in the Crypt of the Sagrada Família, for what they called the canonical and civil appropriate permission. Installed the chapel in the Medical room the same Thursday 10 night, Dr. Francesc de Paula Parés held the third of eight Mass that different priests served, at 7.30 pm of 11 Friday morning, after Fr. Gil Parés and the prior of the Hospital, Fr. Lambert Botey. Temple Board also agreed that, respecting the way of being and the wishes of Antoni Gaudí, the burial will be done as simple as possible, without any pomp. It took place on Saturday 12 in the afternoon. In the long procession from the Hospital to the Cathedral, Dr. Parés held the representation of the Bishop, presiding ecclesiastical mourning with the prior of Sant Jordi, Dr. Berenguer. Upon entering Gaudí's funeral in the Cathedral, the official mourning was dismissed. From there, the grief that accompanied the coffin of Antoni Gaudí to its final resting place in the Crypt of the Sagrada Família was chaired only by Dr. Francesc de Paula Parés. He also chaired the mourning at the funeral for the repose of Gaudí, held on June 28 in the church of the convent of Santa Clara. Dr. Francesc de Paula equals are canon of Barcelona and 14 October 1931was appointed Chief Justice of the beatification process of Dr. Josep Torras i Bages, who died in 1916 and close friend of Gaudí. In July 1936, after the military uprising of General Franco and in the framework of the Spanish Civil War, broke out in Catalonia the bloodiest religious persecution against Catholics in the country's history. The anarchists, organized into committees and patrols, sought and killed with impunity until May 1937 to Catholic priests and the people who hid or helped. They sang: "Cassock that we caught, we kill cassock. Bastards of priests not return trip, because you go to hell." Dr. Francesc Parés was discovered at the home of relatives in Bruc street, n. 25, 4. of Barcelona, on January 25, 1937. Referred to the Committee of Poble Nou, was killed the next morning, on January 26, 1937, in the cemetery of Montcada (ID 587). He was 63. After Spanish Civil War, his remains were transferred on August 24, 1940 at cemetery of Sud-oest. On November 17, 1986, passed to the ossuary.

Josep Maria Tarragona, October 9, 2011

All rights reserved

Last update: 06/05/2016